American Family Insurance Reviews, Coverage Options, and Ratings for 2019
American Family Insurance, also known as AmFam, was founded in 1927 and originally entered the business offering only auto insurance. The company now has a comprehensive portfolio of insurance products beyond property and casualty insurance, including life, health, and commercial insurance for businesses. Let’s analyze important features and coverage options offered by American Family’s auto insurance to see how they compare in your search for car insurance.
American Family car insurance coverage options
With American Family, you can expect all standard coverage options you typically seek in an auto insurance policy — comprehensive, collision, property and bodily injury liability — along with uninsured and underinsured motorist, personal injury protection (PIP), and medical expense coverage. Outlined below, we explore some additional features and options available on an American Family car insurance policy. These options are common additions to many auto insurance policies.
Lease/loan gap coverage
If you're leasing your car — or took out a loan for your vehicle — and happen to get into a collision that totals your car, you can expect to be paid by your insurance company for the actual cash value of your vehicle which deducts for depreciation. American Family's gap insurance coverage accounts for the difference so you don't have to pay out-of-pocket to cover that gap in the rest of your loan or lease for a car you can no longer drive.
Emergency road service 24/7
Emergency road service does exactly what it claims — it delivers peace of mind in the form of roadside assistance in the event your vehicle has unexpected mechanical or operational issues when you're on the road. American Family provides 24/7 service and also covers your towing expenses if your car needs to taken to a mechanic.
Rental car reimbursement coverage
American Family will cover the cost of a rental car if your damaged car is being repaired after a collision, as long as you abide by the company's per-day and per-incident limit for rental car coverage.
American Family insurance discounts and reward programs
When searching for new car insurance, you should always evaluate what an insurance company has to offer in terms of discounts and look into which ones you can qualify for. American Family offers a variety of discounts and money-saving programs that can help alleviate the cost of your monthly premium.
Discounts based on your policy
- Multi-policy: Bundling multiple policies (e.g. auto and homeowners insurance) is rewarded with a slight discount off your premium.
- Multi-car: You can save some money by adding more than one car to your policy. Plus, it saves you the hassle of handling multiple premiums.
- Early bird: If you get a quote from American Family at least seven days before your policy with another insurance company goes into effect, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Steer into Savings: Get a discount by switching to an American Family car insurance policy from a competing insurance company.
- Loyalty: Depending on how long you've been an American Family policyholder, a loyalty discount may be applied to your premium.
- Billing: Pay your premium in full and enroll in autopay and paperless billing to see some savings.
Discounts based on safety
- Low mileage: If you drive less than 7,500 miles per year, you may be eligible for this discount.
- Auto safety equipment: Depending on the state you reside in, you can expect a 10-30% discount if your car has safety equipment like factory-installed airbags.
- Defensive driver: If you're over 55 years old, complete an American Family-approved defensive driving course, and live in an eligible state, you can see 5-10% off your car insurance.
- Good driving: Have an excellent driving record? American Family recognizes this with a reduced rate premium.
- KnowYourDrive program:Available in some states, enjoy an introductory 5% discount if you enroll in American Family's telematics program. Once you download the app, it tracks and evaluates your driving behavior to help you become a safer, more defensive driver. Depending on your driving score, you can get up to 20% off your car insurance.
Discounts for young drivers
- Good student:American Family recognizes good grades in school with a student discount.
- Away at school: See some savings if you're a student under age 25 who lives at least 100 miles from your parked car at home.
- Volunteer work: Giving back to your community by completing at least 40 hours of volunteer work per year at a non-profit is rewarded with a discount if you're under age 25.
- Generational: If either of your parents is a customer, American Family rewards this generational loyalty with a discount.
- Teen Safe Driver program: If you have a teenage driver on your policy, you can get a discount for enrolling in this telematics program. An in-car device that's triggered by erratic driving movements like swerving, sudden accelerations, and hard braking is installed in your teen's vehicle. Once triggered, it records inside and outside the car and sends this data to a center where professional driving coaches review the footage. Parents can access and review a weekly report card and driving performance assessment of their teenage driver.
Additional lines of insurance
Car insurance may have been American Family's first product, but the company now offers an extensive variety of insurance policies.
- Mobile home
Is American Family right for you?
Armed with an impressive 4 out of 5 JD Power rating and excellent financial health, American Family ranks favorably versus competing insurance companies, while reliably paying out claims. Though American Family may not offer as extensive of a list of optional coverage add-ons and endorsements, it compensates with myriad discounts for just about any driver. American Family auto insurance may be a great option if you're looking for a reliable auto policy that will cover the typical risks of driving via collision and comprehensive coverage.
The cost of your car insurance premium is surely a huge factor in your search for a new policy. Because so many variables go into calculating your premium, it's of utmost importance to shop around before making a decision. Your rates may vary between insurance companies. Luckily, you came to the right place to compare car insurance quotes. Find the best rate by entering your ZIP code below to compare quotes from American Family and other insurance companies to see just how much you can save.