Should I accept an 80% payout decision from another driver's insurance company and pay the other 20% out of pocket?

I was involved in an accident and reported the damage to the other driver's insurance company. The repairs will cost $2,200 and the company has agreed to cover 80% of the damage, but I don't think that is fair. Can I report this to my insurance company and let them fight it out? I have 2 no fault prior claims in the last two years (both were done while my car was in a parking lot without me) and my company has sent me a caution letter.

Nov 16, 2016 Hollywood, FL

Neil Richardson

Nov 16, 2016

You could report it to your insurance company, but it's unlikely that the result will be any different. Plus, that 20% comes to only $440. If your deductible is $500 or higher then your insurance company wouldn't cover the difference anyway. The fact that your company has already sent a letter warning you about excessive claims makes it pretty clear that it would be in your best interest to accept the payout decision and avoid the risk of having your company non-renew your policy. You could always hire an attorney but that would probably cost more than you would gain from any litigation.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions