Do I have to add my adult son to my insurance if he'll be driving my car while visiting?

My adult child is 18 and in college 1000 miles away. Do I have to add him when he visits us during breaks to my auto insurance? He goes to college in Oklahoma and I am in Nevada. Will he be covered when drives my vehicle occasionally when visiting me during breaks?

Jun 26, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

Kristine Lee

Jun 26, 2019

Since your son lives in his own home at college, you will not have to add them to your policy if they drive your car less than ten times per year, with most companies. Some insurance companies offer a discount if you add a college student who lives away from home and has limited access to the insured car and seldom drives it. Every company is different so I would check with your company for their specific rules. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. For more information, see our additional resources below.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.