Do I have to add my son to my policy?

My son has at-fault accidents and tickets on his records but he lives with me. I'm worried about how much I'm going to pay for his insurance. He has his home address at my house, but he does not stay there. Off and on. His drivers license is still at my house. What is a good insurance that I can get? I think I need to have him on the insurance, since I let him drive the car all the time.

Dec 26, 2017 Dallas, Texas

Ava Lynch

Dec 26, 2017

For the most part, insurance companies consider your residence address as the place you spend the majority of your time at. So, because your son uses your home address as his base and lists it on his driver licenses  as well as uses your vehicle often, you should add him to your policy. This way, there's no question he would have coverage in the event of any future accidents. In terms of finding affordable insurance with a driving record, your best bet is to shop around with as many companies as possible. Every company will view the risk associated with your son differently and thus price him differently. You can compare hundreds of companies here. For more information on finding auto insurance with a driving record, see our guide on high-risk driving here.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions