Can we get American insurance for our camper van registered in Germany?

In September, we plan on shipping our self-built camper van from Germany to to the United States. We need liability insurance for the US and if possible for Mexico and/or Canada as well. We've heard that it is possible to get insurance while our car is still registered in Germany and we will have a German license plate during the whole stay. A friend is allowing us to use her  American address for the insurance policy.

Jul 7, 2021 Chicago, IL

Renata Balasco

Jul 7, 2021

In order to get insurance from an American insurance company, the camper must be registered in the United States and remain at a U.S. address for at least 10 months out of the year. Since the address your friend is allowing you to use is temporary, it is not valid for use in an American policy. Once you register the camper in the United States, you must find a carrier that covers all three countries. You may need to explore policies from two different insurers in order to cover each territory.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.