How do I avoid fines if I want to drop one of my vehicles off my policy?

I have a car that I'm not driving and plan on letting my friend borrow it for an extended period. The car was registered in Arkansas and I currently live in North Carolina. How would I safely remove it from my insurance without getting any fees or fines.

Dec 21, 2016 Fort Bragg, NC

Neil Richardson

Dec 21, 2016

In most cases, the registration would need to be returned to the state if you don't plan on insuring the vehicle. If your friend plans to drive the vehicle then they would need to insure it on their own policy. You simply need to contact your insurance company to remove the vehicle from your policy and I would recommend contacting the registration office of the state where the vehicle is currently registered and they should advise you moving forward. Best of luck!

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.