I borrowed my friend's car and caused $1,000 of damage

While driving my friend's car, I scraped a pole. Repair shops have told us the cost of fixing the passenger door will be around $1,000. I'm not sure how filing a claim works when the owner of the car wasn't the one driving. I want to pay to repair my friend's car, and I want his insurance to help out so I don't have to pay the entire $1,000, but I also don't want his premiums going up. How do we handle this?

Dec 16, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

Ava Lynch

Dec 16, 2017

Typically, car insurance follows the vehicle (not the driver) so if you were to file a claim, it would be under your friend's insurance. However, I would exercise caution when considering filing claim. Deductibles are usually between $500-$1000 so that might not offer much help. Also, this type of claim would be rated as an at-fault accident. In California last year, an at-fault accident raised premiums by an average of almost $900. Most companies will rate (i.e., charge) you for your claim for 3 years. So that $900 will triple over the period you are being rated for. So, if you can afford it, I would recommend paying for that damages yourself rather than involving your friend's insurance company.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.