Bought a car privately in CA but didn't get the title signatures

I bought a car from a private party, but I didn’t check and he didn’t get the both signatures from the couple who previously owned the car. So I was wondering if there was s process that I have to take to register the vehicle under my name?

May 13, 2018 Los Banos, CA

Ava Lynch

May 13, 2018

I would recommend looking at what's called a bonded title or surety bond (available here through your state's DMV website). Basically, this supports the issuance of a California title when regular evidence of ownership for the vehicle is not obtainable. Determination if a bond is required is based on the value of the vehicle. More information is available here.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.