Can my daughter stay on my car insurance policy after I transfer the title of the car to her?

My daughter is going to be a freshman in college next fall and will be taking her car with her. Can she stay on my policy if I transfer the title to her, if her place of residence is still listed as with us?

Jul 15, 2018 OFallon, MO

Taylor Covington

Jul 15, 2018

There's a couple of things to think about here. First, it sounds like your daughter will be going to college away from your listed residence. If this is the case, she would need her own policy with the vehicle on it. Car insurance is priced at the zip code level and regulated by the state. Meaning, she needs a policy for the exact address she will be living in. If you transfer the title to her, she can just get a policy in her name. However, if the title is still in your name, I recommend having you listed on the policy as an "additional interest." This way, if there is a claim check made out, it will be made out to you as you are the owner of the vehicle. However, if she is going to college but still living with you, she can stay on the policy as long as that's actually what she is doing. Just keep in mind if she's going to college away from your listed address with the vehicle and files a claim, you risk having the claim denied. For more information, see our additional articles here:

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions