Can you dispute the other parties insurance claims adjuster stated damage amount?

I recently got into an accident on the freeway in which resulted in the front end of my car being severely damaged and the other parties rear bumper being damaged. I didn't think it was that bad but I was in shock when I received an estimate from their insurance agent at $16,200. For something that I was quoted by my own mechanic SHOULD be around $4000-7000. Now at the end of the day insurance claims adjusters are not mechanics, and their quote is an estimation of damage, so I need to know if it is within my right to challenge the alleged quote to be viewed by either my own insurance company or an authorized mechanic to give a second look into real value damage done to the vehicle? And a second question being that in the event that the amount is true (due to electrical issues or whatever other nonsense might make these cars ridiculously overpriced to fix) what can i do from a legal standpoint if the amount of my property damage coverage is under the total claim amount?

Jul 17, 2018 Los Angeles, CA

Ava Lynch

Jul 17, 2018

In this instance, it sounds like you are being held "at-fault" for the accident. So, here's what you should do:

  • Call your insurance company and speak to their claim's department. The claim's department will do their own investigation of the claim and eventually pay for the damages. If the damages exceed your property damage liability limits, you will be responsible for the remaining damages.
  • If you want to take legal action, you need to speak to an attorney and see what options you may have.

If you're looking for information on the claim's process, check out our guide on what to expect when filing a claim. Good luck and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.