Can an employer file an claim on your personal insurance if you were driving a company vehicle?

My husband is a police officer and was involved in a small wreck with a mail truck in June 2016. The mail truck struck his car but the accident was deemed my husbands fault. Fast forward 2 years later, we have switched insurance policies and we were quoted a lower amount than what we were paying with the previous policy for two vehicles and house insurance. We made the first payment and it was $70 more than what we were originally quoted. It turns out that while my husband’s employer paid for the damage from the wreck the was in with the mail truck they filed a claim on his personal insurance and we had no clue about it until now.

Sep 22, 2018 Forest City, NC

Ava Lynch

Sep 22, 2018

It doesn't sound like they filed a claim on your personal policy because your husband's employer would have made the claim on their policy. Your insurance would only pay out if the damages/injuries exceeded the limits of the companies policy. Considering your husband is a police officer, I highly doubt the damages exceeded the claim. What is probably impacting your rates is the fact that your husband was at fault in an accident that happened within the last five years. Even if he was in the accident on company time, it will still show up on his claims history because an insurance company paid for a claim on his behalf. I would contact your old insurance company and ask them if they had to pay out on the claim and what claims did they report. If they didn't report any claims then it was reported by your husband's company policy. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.