Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Can my ex-husband insure my car in his name or on his policy?

My license is flagged due to no insurance. My insurance is $503 for 1 vehicle so I couldn’t afford it. Can my ex-husband insure my car in his name or on his policy?

Agent Answer

Kristine Lee
As long as your husband is going to drive the vehicle and park it as his residence, he can insure your car under his name and policy. Because you own it, you would need to be listed as an additional interest in the policy. This would ensure any claims checks would be paid to you rather than your ex-husband in the event of an accident.

However, if you’re going to be using the vehicle and it will be at your residence the majority of the time, you cannot. To do so would be committing insurance fraud and you risk having your coverage denied in the event of an accident. Although it is expensive, car insurance is mandatory. Your insurance rate will decrease due to a lack of insurance history after 6 months. If you’re looking for car insurance quotes, see here.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More