Can I file a claim after a hit and run?

I kissed the fender on another car and they fled the scene. Due to adrenaline I didn't get their plate. There was no damage to their car but my fender is dented and I have a broken light. I have 1 speeding ticket from two months ago, but other than that have never been in any accidents. Can I still file a claim?

Aug 19, 2016 Des Moine, IA

Neil Richardson

Aug 19, 2016

For your vehicle to be covered you will need to have had comprehensive and collision (some people call this full coverage) on your policy. If you do have this coverage then it is likely that your company will fix your vehicle after you pay the deductible. Your best bet is to contact your insurance company's claims department and let them know what happened. This should start the process and your vehicle should be fixed soon. On a side note: if you didn't have comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy you will have to pay for the damage out of your own pocket. Sorry to hear about your car, but best of luck!

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions