Ask An Agent


Get free car insurance advice on demand



Can I file a claim for bodily injury with my insurance even though the person that hit me had insurance and they settled out of court?

The person that hit me had insurance and they paid me the max that they could off of her policy which wasn’t enough to cover my pain and suffering.

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

Since Florida is a “No Fault” state, your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage should pay primary for any injuries you suffer in an accident, regardless of fault. Because you settled out of court already for your medical bills, you may not be able to get any additional compensation from your company since PIP covers medical and work loss, not pain and suffering. I would recommend that you contact your insurance company about the situation and possibly even an attorney since a lawsuit may be your only option. Best of luck!

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More