Can a foreigner get a short term car insurance when renting a vehicle from a private person?

I am a German student who will soon be visiting Denver on vacation. My host (private person, not a company) is offering one of her cars for a very cheap price -- compared to local car rental companies -- which is why I would like to take advantage of this opportunity and rent her car for 3-4 weeks. Is it possible to get short-term car insurance? I want to be covered in case something happens to the car. However, I find it quite complicated to find such insurance if the car is not from a car rental company. I am 24, accident-free, and have driven since the age of 17.

Aug 14, 2019 Denver, CO

Ross Martin

Aug 14, 2019

Getting car insurance can be quite complicated for foreign drivers, especially with short-term car rentals. Since you are renting the car from your host I assume that you will be living at their address. The easiest option would be to see if your host can add you to their current insurance policy as a named driver. Adding a driver may impact their insurance rates, but that might be something that you could work out with your host in your rental agreement.


Outside of this, you could get an insurance policy and cancel when you leave. If this is the case, you would need to add your host's information as an additional interest as they actually own the vehicle. Once you give the vehicle back, you would need to cancel the policy. Depending on the company, you might get a fee for canceling a policy so early on. Because of this, I greatly recommend option one: asking your host to add you to their policy temporarily.
Furthermore, you could always call our agents at the Zebra at (888) 255-4364 to find out the best option for you. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.