Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Can I insure a vehicle my dad left to me in his will if the title and registration still have not been transferred to my name?

I had to apply for a death certificate to get the title transferred into my name but that takes time and I have to drive the car right now.

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

If the vehicle is your only mode of transportation then you should be able to insure it since you have an “insurable interest” in the vehicle. However, if you are involved in an accident where you are considered at fault then your father’s estate could be held liable for the damage you caused. Getting the title transferred to your name as quickly as possible should be your most pressing concern, but you should be able to insure it while you’re waiting so you are able to legally drive the car. If you are the executor of your father’s estate then you may actually be able to add your name to his policy if it is still in-force until the policy renewal. I would recommend contacting the company that insures his car currently for assistance.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More