Can I keep my car registered in Rhode Island, but have my auto insurance written as a New York State policy?

I'm temporarily moving to New York state with a Rhode Island drivers license and a car with Rhode Island plates. From what I've read, I need my auto insurance to reflect where I'm currently living and where the car is being garaged. Does it makes sense to insure the vehicle in New York and keep the Rhode Island plates? Or will I get in trouble with either state?

May 15, 2017 Buffalo, NY

Neil Richardson

May 15, 2017

The problem would be with the state of Rhode Island concerning your registration. If your vehicle is no longer insured in the state then you will be expected to turn in your registration tags and get new tags in New York. Depending on how long you plan on staying in New York, you might consider leaving your policy as-is or registering and insuring your vehicle in New York.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions