Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Can the police make me file an insurance claim?

I was rear ended yesterday but the damage wasn’t much its only a little dent on the back do i file claim? Police took report and the officer said although my damage wasn’t much he recommended filing the report with the insurance. Should i file will my insurance go up?

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

There’s a couple of things to consider. If you were rear-ended, it stands to reason you were not at-fault. If you weren’t at-fault and want the damage repaired, you would be filing a claim with the other driver’s insurance company, not yours. However, if you don’t have the other driver’s information or do not wish to get the damages repaired, you do not need to contact your insurance company.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More