Can I suspended my insurance for 6 months while out of the country?

I'll be out of the country and I will leave my car just in the garage for six months. Can I suspend my insurance policy for six months?

Sep 2, 2018 Riverview, FL

Ava Lynch

Sep 2, 2018

Unfortunately, as long as the car is registered and still has plates, you have to maintain insurance on the car. You can do the following:
  1. Cancel the registration and insurance. Here, you wouldn't have to pay for your insurance and don't risk having your registration suspended and being ticketed. I recommend purchasing non-owners insurance to avoid a gap in coverage. You can find more information regarding storage coverage here. And more information regarding non-owners here.
  2. Keep the vehicle insured.
There really is no way around it. You may be able to find a company that offers a storage policy but that would be company specific. Usually, you have to have another established policy covered with at least liability to qualify for this. I do not have a list of the companies that will do this but we can quote you with different companies for a regular policy. Then you can inquire about a storage policy. We can quote you with several carriers at You can also give us a call at 833-768-7789. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions