How do I cancel my mom's car insurance policy after she passed away?

My mother recently passed away and I am the executor of her estate. Since I was never listed as a driver on her policy I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about cancelling it. What am I supposed to do?

Mar 12, 2017 Redmond, WA

Neil Richardson

Mar 12, 2017

Since you are the executor of her estate you have some legal authority to handle her active insurance policies. Before you contact the insurance company, make sure to have her policy number and a copy of her death certificate on hand. You will likely be required to submit the death certificate to the insurance company as proof of her passing before they will agree to cancel the policy. If the ownership of the vehicle is being transferred to you, even if you are going to sell the vehicle at a later date, you should add it to your existing policy. Be very cautious about driving her vehicle before the policy is cancelled as there are major stipulations concerning who can drive the vehicle and in what cases it can be driven.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.