What do I do if I can't afford to pay for damages to my vehicle?

I backed out of my assigned parking space and hit a pole causing my bumped to fall off. I'm 32 and it was my definitely my fault. I can't afford to pay for the damages right now. What do I do?

Dec 20, 2017 Fresno, California

Ava Lynch

Dec 20, 2017

There's a couple of different ways to look at this. If you're not leasing the vehicle, if the vehicle is drivable, and there wasn't any property damage to the pole you struck, you do not have to file a claim if you don't want to. Moreover, in California, you have two years to file a claim. So, if you're not able to file a claim or repair the damages at this moment due to other financial constraints, you may be able to a later time. For more information on filing a claim, check out our step-by-step guide.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.