Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



My car got damaged by a hit and run vehicle that was be driven by a family member. Who pays for the damage?

My car got damaged by a hit and run vehicle that was driven by a family member. The father is claiming that his daughter stole his car. Will my claim be honored?

Agent Answer

Kristine Lee

This can be a tricky situation. If there is a police report and proof the vehicle was stolen, usually your claim will not be covered by the owner of the vehicle’s insurance. You would have to sue the driver (the daughter, in case) or use your own coverage. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, this should cover the damage to your car, as it’s meant to be used for damage sustained by incidents like hit-and-runs. If not, your collision coverage should cover it after you meet your deductible. I recommend contacting your insurance company for the best options regarding your particular situation.

Good luck and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More