Does car insurance cover vandalism?

I parked downtown to go to dinner one night and when I returned to my car, my window had been smashed and a bag of my stuff was gone. Will the insurance company reimburse me?

Jun 16, 2016 Seattle, WA

Neil Richardson

Jun 16, 2016

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. The most important thing is to make sure that you have comprehensive coverage on your policy since that is what protects your car against vandalism. Your window is likely to be covered, though, you may be required to pay a deductible depending on your policy so you would need to contact your company's claims department to find out. Unfortunately, the items inside your vehicle that were stolen would not be covered under any part of your auto policy. Personal items, even those stolen from inside your vehicle, are only covered by a renters or homeowners insurance policy so you would need to have either of those policies to be reimbursed for your stolen items. Make sure you file a report with the police as this can help with the claims process for both your vehicle and personal items.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.