Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



If my car was stolen and set on fire, will my car insurance cover the personal items inside the vehicle?

After my car was stolen, the police found it set on fire. Unfortunately the fire department didn’t get to the scene soon enough to save my car and it was completely torched. My laptop and a few other items of mine were in the car when it was set on fire and I want to know if my insurance company will pay for them to be replaced?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

Your personal items would have to be claimed on your homeowners or renters insurance policy to be covered. Auto insurance does not cover personal items; only your vehicle. If you’re wanting to get those items replaced you’ll need to contact the company that insures your residence.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More