Should I claim repairs to my vehicle under my own auto insurance or under the property owners umbrella insurance?

My SUV was damaged while leaving a baseball field owned by the local Levee Improvement District (LID). While leaving the field at night, the automatic steel gate did not sense the car and closed on it. It broke the windshield and crushing the passenger side fender. Another person's truck was also damaged though not to the same extent. The police came to the scene and a report was filed. The LID is trying to figure out what to do and have brought in their insurance company. It is a vehicle to property damage. The gate suffered only paint damage. They said I could have the repairs done through my insurance or have it done myself and they will reimburse me. Should I pursue the repair through them or go through my insurance and hope they collect from the LID (I'll have to pay my $1000 deductible). Would it be best to go through my umbrella policy or auto insurance?

May 27, 2019 Missouri City, TX

Ross Martin

May 27, 2019

In this case, I would pursue the damages through the LID first. If they deny fault, you can submit it to your insurance company. You can also inform your insurance company of the situation, but you do not want to file a claim if you do not have to. A claim will increase your rates for up to five years which is why it's better to let the other company payout for the damages. If they claim to not be at fault your insurance company can deal with that for you.


It should be noted that your umbrella coverage only steps in whenever other insurance limits have been reached, so it isn't likely that this would be the case in this situation.


For more information on filing claims and umbrella policies, check out the link below:
Good luck and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.