Coverage for non-employee in commercial vehicle after accident

I was driving a company van with a customer in it and we got hit by another car. The other cars limits didn't cover our medical...shouldn't the owner of company I work for for have insurance on the van as well? I was put into worker comp but my passenger only got what the other drivers insurance paid.. my company which is a huge car dealer said they didn't have coverage on the van I was driving..

Aug 2, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

Ava Lynch

Aug 2, 2018

There's a couple of things to think about here. First, if the other driver was found at-fault for the accident, their insurance (if they have it) would cover the property damage of the van and the bodily injury payments suffered by both of you (this is called their liability coverage). In Nevada, the minimum liability would cover you for the following:

  • $25,000 of bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 of bodily injury for the entire accident
  • $20,000 of property damage coverage

Using the limits expressed above, if their policy limitations maxed out for your medical payments that means the value of damage was greater than $25,000 per person or $50,000 for the entire incident. In order to get payment for the remaining damages, you will need to seek legal advice because you will most likely have to sue for the remaining amounts. As far as your company paying for the remaining damages, you will need to speak with them directly. They should have insurance on all of their cars under a commercial insurance policy. I think the best move is to seek legal advice as to how you can be compensated for your injuries. Best of luck.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.