Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Should my daughter have her own insurance policy?

My daughter is a 25 year old student living in NYC and is listed as a driver on my policy in Pennsylvania. She will be taking an internship in Chicago in a few months and will be taking her vehicle with her. After Chicago she will be moving to Philadelphia. Should she get her own insurance policy? Or is it ok to keep her and her vehicle on my policy?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

It would make the most sense for her to have her own policy since she will be traveling, and potentially living, in multiple states after no longer being considered a student. Her “home address”, as far as an insurance company is concerned, is where she keeps the vehicle for at least 6 months out of the year. So if she will only temporarily be living in those other places then she should use the address where she’ll be living more permanently. She should consider shopping around with as many companies as possible to find the best rate, regardless of where she ends up.

Was this helpful?

1 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More