Do I need to register or insure my car in Washington if I have insurance that covers me from Canada while working?

I will be working temporarily in Seattle for 6 months. I am from Vancouver and am a Canadian Citizen. I will have extended car insurance that will provide coverage abroad. The car is not used for work.

Am I required to register my car in Washington state and/or get car insurance?

Sep 5, 2019 Seattle, WA

Kristine Lee

Sep 5, 2019

You will need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for the state of Washington for information on registration. If you are required to register your car in Washington, then you would likely need a Washington insurance policy with your Seattle address. While temporary insurance doesn't really exist, you can get a six-month policy — which is a typical policy period for car insurance.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.