Should I file a claim after I've had 2 comp claims already?

I found a small damage area on my back fender that happened in the parking lot of our local shopping center. My wife has made 2 comp claims. With my wife having these two claims in the past 3 years, will my rates go up if I claim this damage? My record is pristine with no claims or accidents for over 25 years.

Jan 30, 2018 Chester, Virigina

Ava Lynch

Jan 30, 2018

There's a couple of ways to handle this. First, you could file an uninsured property damage claim. In Virginia, drivers are required to have Uninsured Motorist Coverage for bodily injury and your property (UMPD). You would have to pay the deductible. If you're unable to do that, you could file a collision claim. This would be considered at fault and will most likely raise your rates. In your state in 2017, our state of insurance reports at-fault accidents having raised rates by an average of 49%. Most companies will continue to charge you for at-fault accidents for 3 years. I would recommend getting an estimate prior to filing a claim and seeing if the damage caused by the accident is worth the financial penalty you would receive. Best of luck.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions