Should I file a claim if I only have a learners permit?

I'm underage and scratched a car in the parking lot. My insurance is already high as it is I can't afford this and neither can my parents. The damage is very little, I don't know if the insurance should be involved no one got hurt and the damage is minimal. I just have my permit and the car is under my mom's name, how much would it cost to just fix the damage? Its kind of long and a little bit of paint came off but it's not super noticeable. I'm at fault now my insurance will be through the roof and my license will be taken away for driving with only a permit, plus I'll get a ticket and maybe court. Please help I'm panicking.

Oct 14, 2018 Yakima, WA

Ava Lynch

Oct 14, 2018

Unfortunately, I'm not an insurance adjuster which means I cannot tell you how much it will cost to repair the damage. However, if you do not want to have a claim filed for the accident, you can offer to pay for the damages out of pocket. Keep in mind, the person that you hit has the choice of how they want to handle the damages. This means that even if you offer to pay for the damage out of pocket, they can refuse and file the claim with your insurance company. Check out our guide to filing claims to learn more about what to expect from the process.
If you need to shop for a cheaper policy, we can quote you with several carriers at You can also give us a call at  833-768-7789. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.