Should I file a claim for a minor accident which cause damage to another persons property?

Hi, My wife ran into our friends garage door while visiting them. Our car only received a couple of minor scratches. Our friends garage door was damaged. The estimate to repair the garage door is $1469.03. This was my wife's first accident in over 20 years and she has a clean driving record. We have a $500 deductible. We just started with our current insurance company last month. My 18 year old daughter also had an accident in December of 2017, which we filed a claim with our previous Auto insurance. The claim we filed in December caused our premiums to go up dramatically, which is why we switched to another insurance company. My question is should I file the claim? Will my premiums raise?

Apr 19, 2018 Massillon, OH

Ava Lynch

Apr 19, 2018

There are a couple of things to look at here. Your deductible only applies to your collision and comprehensive coverage - which protects your vehicle. If you were to file a claim, this would fall under your property damage liability coverage. However, as you experienced with your daughter, your rates will probably increase again. According to our 2021 State of Insurance, in Ohio, an at-fault accident such as this would increase your premiums by 47%. I would recommend speaking with your neighbors and seeing if they will let you pay for the damage out of pocket, rather than involving your insurance companies. Most at-fault accidents will stay on your insurance record for 3 years. Meaning, your insurance premium would be affected by that estimated 47% for 3 years.  For more information on the claims process, check out our guide to filing claims.  

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions