Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Should I file a claim on my mom’s car insurance policy?

I was driving my mom’s SUV and crashed onto the back of a smaller car on a rainy day no one was hurt and the damage was minor. Should I file a claim with my mom’s insurance company since it’s her car? There wasn’t a police report because the damage was small. This is my first car accident. I’m not even sure what the process is for filing a claim.

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

Because the damage is minor, it’s probably best not to involve your mom’s car insurance company. I would recommend having the at-fault party get an estimate for the damage (which they would have to do anyway) and pay for the damage out of pocket. Because a car insurance company would charge you for any at-fault claim (which this would be considered as) for 3 years and the average increase in Texas is around 40%, the damage most likely costs less than that premium increase.

If the other party isn’t interested in going around insurance companies, you are obligated to follow suite. If that’s the case, here is a step by step guide on handling the process.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More