Ask An Agent


Get free car insurance advice on demand



Should I file a claim if my son damaged our cars in the driveway?

My husband and I have a policy with our son listed as a driver. My husband filed a claim last year for backing into someone, and our rate is already $500 per month so I’m worried about filing this claim for two vehicles. What should we do?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

Considering that you have a young driver on your policy and your rates are already inflated due to a recent claim, I would recommend getting a repair estimate first to see if you can afford to pay for the damage out of pocket. At fault accidents in Texas have an average impact of about $850 extra per year for 3 years from the date of the incident, and you may have to pay a deductible for each vehicle. If the repair estimates are less than $3,000, assuming you have a $500 deductible, then it would make the most sense to pay for the damage out of your own pocket.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More