Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Should I file a claim for my son’s accident?

My teenage son totaled my car $3300 blue book value, my deductible is $1000 collision/$500 comp, should I file a claim? Car is in a tow company yard at $30/day and it costs $350 to tow to my house.

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

When it comes to filing a claim there are a few things to keep in mind.

  1. First, is your son listed on your policy as a driver?
    • If he is listed as a driver you can file a claim. If he is not listed as a driver it is likely the claim will not be paid out since he lives in your household. He would need to be either included or excluded on the policy.
  2. Second, are the damages worth filing a claim?
    1. At most your car is worth $3,300. If your collision deductible is $1000, the maximum the insurance company will pay is $2,300. Now, typically filing a claim will  be reported on your son’s, yours, or both of your claims history report. This can negatively affect your rates for up to five years causing your rates to increase. Always good to keep in mind that the whole purpose of car insurance is to protect you from potential financial disaster—not a small financial inconvenience. Below you can see how an at-fault accident would increase our rates in California. Some insurance companies do require you to report any incident, even if you choose not to file a claim. Make sure to check your specific policy for their rules. For more information here is more information on when to file a claim and what to expect if you do file a claim. Good luck.


Year After Accident Average Annual Premium
0 – No Accident $1,713
1 Year Later $2,373
2 Years Later $3,033
3 Years Later $3,693

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More