Should I file a homeowners or auto claim?

A friend of mine has a steep drive way. I was driving my manual vehicle and while I was attempting to shift, I rolled backwards and ended up in her garage. I completely caved in the garage door and took out part of the wall. Should I make an insurance claim with my auto policy or would she make a homeowners insurance claim for the damage to the garage?

Dec 19, 2017 Cedar Hill, MO

Ava Lynch

Dec 19, 2017

Although the damage was done to a home, this would be considered part of your liability coverage under property damage in your auto insurance policy. In order to get the damages to your vehicle repaired, you would be filing a collision claim, which would ultimately be considered an at-fault accident and would most likely raise your rates.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.