Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Should I file old damage with my new company or my old company?

Hi I have NYCM full coverage on my vehicle. I hit the back right panel while pulling into my carport I believe due to ice. I did not file a claim at the time because I assumed I could not afford the deductible. I think I may have been with a different insurance company at that time. Would I still be able to file a claim with my current insurance company?

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch
No, you would need to file the claim with the company you had at the time of the incident. They are the ones that would be responsible to pay for the damages since it occurred while you were insured with them. If you try to file a claim with your current insurance company for an incident that happened when the policy was not active, that is considered insurance fraud. In New York, you have up to three years to file a claim so contact your previous insurance company as soon as you can. Good luck and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More