My friend is giving me a car as a gift. What do I need to do to get it transferred in my name?

I live in Ft Worth in Texas and my friend is gifting a car to me, how do I get it transferred to my name?

May 23, 2019 Fort Worth, TX

Kristine Lee

May 23, 2019

You need to have the title transferred to you and register it in your name. Here is some information related to that — it will all be done via the TX DMV. There are some forms you will need to fill out. You will also need to insure the vehicle for at least Texas' liability limits. The minimum insurance requirement in Texas is $30,000 Bodily Injury per person, $60,000 Bodily Injury per accident, and $25,000 Property Damage per accident. Here is more information related to Texas car insurance. Best of luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions