Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



How do I get cheaper rates in Oregon if I have to file an SR22?

I have low credit, a felony hit and run car accident, speeding ticket, and careless driving. About 3 years ago I rolled a car off the road and also side swiped a car in a different accident. Now I need to file a SR22 form. I am 20 years old and drive a 1965 Ford F-100. What tips do I need to know to get cheaper insurance at this point? Should I wait until I have found an affordable rate and then ask for an SR22?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

Outside of shopping with as many companies as possible to find the lowest rate, I’d recommend driving much more cautiously. Only time is going to make your rate any better since you have so many incidents on your driving record. Once they pass 3 years you should start to see a decrease in what you pay, but with such an extensive driving history already you’re going to be faced with very high rates for the foreseeable future. You might want to consider a non-owners insurance policy and attach an SR22 if you aren’t planning on driving. This may end up being a much more affordable option than attempting to insure a vehicle.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More