Ask An Agent


Get free car insurance advice on demand



What happens if your car gets broken into at home?

My car was parked in my driveway and when I left the house to go to work the next morning I noticed my window was broken and my backpack with my laptop was gone. Are you supposed to file a claim with your car insurance or renters/home insurance company if your car gets broken into at home?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

You would file a claim with your auto insurance company for the damaged window and anything stolen from inside the vehicle that was permanently attached like a cd player/head unit or navigation system. For anything stolen from your vehicle that were personal items, not permanently attached to your car, you would have to file a claim with your renters/homeowners insurance company. Auto insurance covers vehicle specific equipment in addition to your car and personal property like computers, mp3 players, or tablets are covered by renters/homeowners insurance regardless of their location (inside a vehicle or not) at the time of theft. Sorry to hear about your car and computer; that’s a real bummer.

Was this helpful?

1 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More