Does home insurance cover damage to mural after leak?

I have water damage in my home, one room has custom painted wall murals totaling 126 sq ft. How does insurance replace or compensate for damage? I have a bedroom and living room with water damage from a leaking roof. The bedroom has a custom drawn and painted murals (on three walls totaling 126 sq ft). Our insurance company said that they will repair drywall and repaint the walls but they verbally say that they are keeping the value of the murals open-ended. This worries me because in the estimate there is no mention of the murals repainting or compensating for them. How do I estimate the value? I would like to have them redone however they are custom. I do not want to settle for painting solid wall colors.

Aug 29, 2018 Oxford, MI

Ava Lynch

Aug 29, 2018

This question is very specific to your home insurance policy and thus difficult to answer. Your insurance agent will be able to tell you what type of coverage you have and the adjuster will be able to tell you how much they will pay to repair the damages. Given this is an additional feature to your home, I would imagine you would need an additional coverage option for it. Many home insurance policies have "art endorsements." These will add more financial coverage to pieces of artwork which have significant value. Typically, that is stated clearly in your policy. The best thing you can do is contact your insurance company. They will be able to give you accurate and detail information of what and how the damage will be covered. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you're looking for more information on home insurance, see our guide here.

Compare homeowners insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.