How do I get insurance if I'm a Canadian student moving to NY?

I’m looking for reasonable car insurance for the state of NY. I’m a Canadian student, therefore I don’t have an SSN or American credit history.

Dec 2, 2019 Staten Island, NY

Kristine Lee

Dec 2, 2019

You can still find car insurance without a social security number, but it may be more difficult without a US driver's license. Many insurers will not offer policies for non-licensed drivers. In addition, a lack of credit history can also hurt your rate when insurance companies calculate how much risk you carry. Once you move to New York, I would look into getting your driver's license as soon as possible — especially if you'll be an American resident for a while — and go from there.

Here are some resources that may be helpful for your situation:

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.