How do I get insurance for making deliveries if I'm borrowing a car?

My car broke down and I'm working on saving money to purchase another one. In the meantime, I'm currently borrowing my mother-in-law's car or truck depending on weather and needs. I want to start working for a company called Instacart as a shopper and delivery contractor but I need proof of insurance. Can I get decent coverage at a low rate over driving cars that I don't own and are subject to changing frequently?

Feb 11, 2020 Delta, CO

Kristine Lee

Feb 11, 2020

A non-owners insurance policy provides liability coverage for drivers who don't own a car. However, if the vehicles aren't insured and registered by your mother-in-law, you are still not going to be legal on Colorado roads.

As for making deliveries, you will need a personal policy that also covers your business-use. See more info about that here. You are going to find most of the smaller and low budget insurance companies will not cover commercial use of the vehicle. If your mother-in-law has the vehicles insured, I would check to see if business-use coverage can be added and what their rules are for delivery services like Instacart.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.