If my husband totaled our car, will I get 50% of the payout from the insurance company?

He was responsible for the cash and the car was totaled. Am I entitled to half of the payout from the insurance company since we both own and insure the car together? We are currently separated and I want my part of the insurance money.

Dec 6, 2016 Fremont, CA

Neil Richardson

Dec 6, 2016

You would have to take up with your husband or an attorney since this is probably a legal issue. The payout from the insurance company goes to the primary named insured on the policy. What that person does after the payout is up to them unless there is a legal requirement to split the funds.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.