I let a friend use my car and it ended up totaled. What should I do?

No one else was involved in the accident. He ended up getting arrested for evading the police which ultimately caused the damages. It’s been 11 days and I am not sure what to do. The car is not in my name and I am an authorized and covered driver under the insurance, but not the policyholder. I have not told the owner yet and have not contacted the insurance.

Jan 7, 2020 Houston, TX

Kristine Lee

Jan 7, 2020

If your vehicle is totaled, you should definitely file a claim and see if your insurance will cover it. If they refuse and your friend (the driver) has renters or homeowners insurance, he may be able to use his liability coverage. Your last resort would be to seek legal advice on how to get the responsible party to pay for the damage they caused.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.