If I buy a car right before I move states, do I have to get an insurance policy in the state I bought it?

I'm moving from Arizona to South Dakota in a few days, but I will be buying a new Jeep Wrangler beforehand. Since I am buying the Jeep in AZ, I need to have the basic coverage required by law. I then am going to SD to have my newly bought Jeep registered and licensed. My question is how can I make this easy with car insurance since once I buy it will only be three days until I am up in SD and I don't want to buy insurance and then have to cancel it.

Oct 22, 2019 Prescott, AZ

Ross Martin

Oct 22, 2019

If you will be registering and living in South Dakota, then you will want to get an insurance policy for the address where you'll be living in that state. Insurance needs to be in the state that the vehicle is registered in. Also, your address is a rating factor in calculating your premium. 

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmark No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Related Questions