I'm not licensed but need to insure a vehicle

I just got married a few weeks ago, and even though I'm not yet licensed to drive, and my father gave me his old car. My husband drives quite frequently and has his own insurance policy on his car. How should I insure the car that my dad gives to me? Is my husband able to add it to his policy? Or do I have to insure this myself?

Aug 8, 2018 Philadelphia, PA

Taylor Covington

Aug 8, 2018

All things considered, it would probably be best/cheaper for your husband to add you to his policy. You will get a multi-vehicle discount and being married is a better rating factor than being single. Having your permit should not be an issue. You will just need to update your car insurance company once you get your license. However, be aware that some companies will not accept a permit. If this is the case, you will have to get your own policy separately. If this is the case, since you are married, you will have to list your husband on the policy. He can either be a driver or you can exclude him. If you exclude him, he will not be covered to drive your car. Another option, if your husband's current company will not insure you, is to get another policy together with a company that will accept a permit. This is a good option because you will still get a multi-vehicle discount. Plus, your husband having continuous insurance will get you a cheaper rate. For more information about how marriage affects your car insurance, check out our guide: Best Car Insurance for Married Couples.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.