Ask An Agent


Get free car insurance advice on demand



If I’m selling my car to another person using a private lien, who insures the vehicle?

The guy wants to make payments to me for my vehicle since he can’t afford to pay me all at once. Who is supposed to insure the vehicle?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

The buyer would have to insure the vehicle and list you as the “lien holder” on his insurance policy. This way, if the vehicle were to be totaled, you would receive compensation since you still have an ownership interest in the vehicle. You should also request a copy of the buyer’s insurance declaration page for your own records.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More