If I'm uninsured and the person at-fault for the accident is insured, how do I get my car fixed?

My son was driving his new car through an intersection where he had the right of way, and the person that pulled in front of him passed the light and my son car collided with the person at-fault. My son doesn't have any insurance but the person at-fault does. How do we go about getting the person at-fault to pay for property damage?

Aug 26, 2019 Memphis, TN

Kristine Lee

Aug 26, 2019

Nothing would change in the way the claim should be handled, as far as damages are concerned. Any trouble he is in for not having insurance would be a separate issue. I would get in contact with the at-fault party's insurer and file a claim with them. If they refuse to give you their insurance information, then you need to take further steps and bring a suit against them for not paying. An at-fault party must pay all damages caused, including temporary transportation costs. I would save all the receipts accordingly. Meanwhile, depending on your son's age, driving history, and address (if he's living with you), I would either add him to your car insurance policy or have him shop around for his own policy to avoid getting cited for having no insurance. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.