What do I do if my insurance company drops me for non-payment?

Because I moved, I inadvertently missed my payment and my policy was canceled. Is there a grace period for me to reinstate my policy?

Nov 17, 2016 Minneapolis, MN

Neil Richardson

Nov 17, 2016

Your company may allow you to make up the payment, but there will likely be some type of fee involved with reinstating your policy because of the lapse in coverage. Unfortunately in most states, insurance companies aren't legally obligated to offer a grace period so that would be up to your specific carrier. If you aren't able to reinstate then your next best option is to shop around for a new policy immediately so you don't run the risk of being ticketed for driving without insurance, or worse, involved in an accident without coverage.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.