Will my homeowners insurance cover damage caused by a hurricane?

The roof of my home was ripped off by the wind from the hurricane, and the inside of the home was completely damaged by water. Will I be covered at all?

Sep 7, 2017 Houston, TX

Neil Richardson

Sep 7, 2017

The majority of homeowners insurance policies do not provide coverage for flood damage. Unless your insurance policy provides coverage specifically against floods, you would have to have flood insurance through FEMA or the NFIP. That being said, homeowners insurance should provide coverage for damage to your home outside of what was caused by actual flooding. It's still worth contacting them to ask for assistance as they likely will have to cover some of your loss.

Compare homeowners insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.